Coros Pace 2 & Pod 2 Review

Introduction

A good GPS running watch is one of the key accessories for modern runners to optimise their training. With so many options in the market from brands such as Garmin, Polar, Coros, and Suunto, it can be difficult to make a purchase decision. 

This review will be covered from a perspective of a recreational runner averaging 40-55km weekly mileage, who performs supplementary gym and swimming sessions.

I was sent the Coros Pace 2 and Pod 2 for testing by Red Dot Running Company, Coros' official local distributor in Singapore.  Prior to this testing, I was using a Garmin Fenix 5. 

I faced several challenges with the Garmin Fenix 5:

  • Slow GPS Detection (Around Tall Buildings & Bad Weather)
  • Inconsistent Pace Data at the Start of Runs
  • High Pace Fluctuations When Running Alongside Tall Buildings & Underpasses
  • Noticeable Weight on Wrist (85 grams)

As a triathlete who has transitioned into hybrid training (weightlighting + running), I was keen to see whether the combination of the Pace 2 and Pod 2 would serve my needs better as compared to my existing Garmin Fenix 5. I carried out rigorous testing for a little over a month, starting halfway through my half marathon training.

[Disclaimer: I understand that I'm testing new technology against old technology. However, this review is to determine how an entry level watch of newer technology compares against an older top-of-the-line watch.]


Important Specs

Device

Pace 2 Watch

Pod 2

Price

  • $299 SGD

  • $145 SGD

Weight

  • 35 grams (Silicone Band)

  • 5.6grams / 0.2ounces

Warranty

  • 2 Years

  • 1 Year

Battery Life

  • 20 days of regular use
  • 30 hours in Full GPS mode
  • 60 hours in UltraMax mode

  • 28 Hours Continuous Activity
  • (Charging Dock Holds 140 Hours of Charge)

Usage

  • Left/Right Wrist

  • Shoe/Waist

Waterproof

  • 5ATM (50 Meters)

  • 3 ATM (30 meters)

[Full Specs available here: Pace 2 & Pod 2]



The most apparent differences I experienced when switching from the Garmin Fenix 5 to the Pace 2 was:

  1. The longer battery life (20 days vs 14 days of regular use)
  2. The lighter weight (35g vs 85g). 


Coros Pace 2 in Coros Line-Up

The Pace 2 is Coros' entry-level running watch that comes in at a mere $299. The month of testing the Pace 2 made me come to the realisation that its features are perfect for the activities I was currently performing. To be honest, I was underutilising the Garmin Fenix 5 as a triathlete, and even more so as a hybrid athlete. Excluding maps and tracking features (Coros has a direct competing product: APEX 2 & APEX 2 Pro), the Pace 2 is more than enough for urban/road runners who also participate in some cross-training.


GPS Pairing Speed

One of the main frustrations that I had with the Garmin Fenix 5 is that it would take forever to receive a GPS signal. Living among tall "Housing Developmental Board" buildings, the GPS signal would take roughly 40 seconds to 2 minutes on a sunny morning, and even up to 5 minutes on a rainy day.

I was pleasantly surprised when my Coros Pace 2 acquired its GPS Signal in about 10-15 seconds on most days. Imagine my delight when acquiring a signal on a rainy day took under 30 seconds! The faster GPS pairing speed definitely saves time and negates the frustrations that I would have had if I was using my Fenix 5.


Digital Dial 

The Pace 2 utilizes a digital dial that doubles as a clickable button to navigate the watch's interface. Coming from regular buttons, it took quite some time getting used to this new navigation tool. I would say that I've adapted well, though I still prefer standard buttons to navigate through the menu quicker.

Heart Rate

I found the heart rate measurements in all my runs to be fairly accurate. I did an A/B testing with the Coros Pace 2 on my left wrist and Garmin Fenix 5 on my right wrist. Heart rate readings on both watches were fairly similar, with a variability of 3-5 beats. However, the Coros Pace 2 did a better job at providing a more consistent heart rate reading in the initial stages of each run; the Fenix 5 took a longer time to sync up heart rate readings especially during fast sessions.

Music

Unfortunately, the Pace 2 has no music capabilities. I received some information that Coros will not be implementing music in their watches for now due to their main focus on optimising run-related performance features. I would love to see Coros bring in music to their smartwatches in the next few years.

Different Modes

As a hybrid athlete, I often incorporate extensive strength training and the occasional swim in my routine. The Coros Pace 2 performed well during swim sessions; lap tracking was accurate.

However, it was a different story for strength training. I've got to say that the concept is interesting, though the accuracy when it came to counting the number of repetitions for each exercise was all over the place. That said, I would rather go watchless when im in the gym as it gets in the way of my gym accessories (lifting straps) when i perform certain exercises.


Experience with Pod 2 (used with Pace 2) during Runs



The Pod 2 measures different performance metrics when worn on either the waist or shoe:

Worn on Shoe

Worn on Waist

  • Distance
  • Pace/Effort Pace
  • GPS Tracking Enhancement
  • Cadence
  • Stride Length
  • Temperature

  • L/R Balance
  • Ground Contact Time
  • Stride Height
  • Stride Ratio



I tested the Pod 2 on both the shoe and waist attachments, but found myself using the shoe attachment majority of the time due to 2 main features: Effort Pace and GPS Tracking Enhancement. I recommend the Pod 2 to be worn on the wasit during training once or twice to better understand one's running form, though wearing it on the shoe provides far more valuable performance metrics.

GPS Tracking Enhancement Experience (Road)

To test the accuracy of the Pod 2, I compared 3 different device combinations on the same route. This route involved running under several underpasses and among tall buildings.
  1. Pace 2 alone
  2. Pace 2 with Pod 2 attachment
  3. Garmin Fenix 5
When passing through these landmarks which are common for GPS inconsistency (at around 5:00min/km), both the Pace 2 (alone) and Fenix 5 gave wild readings of around 9:00-10:30min/km. Unsurprisingly, using the Pod 2 with the Pace 2 gave fairly consistent pace readings which hovered around 5:00min/km. 

Runs consisting of fairly open skies yielded very similar results for all 3 tests.

GPS Tracking Enhancement Experience (Track)

Akin to the testing I conducted on the road, the same variables were used for the track runs. The Pace 2 (with track mode on) and the Fenix 5 consistently got the distances wrong on a 400m track, often giving readings of 380-390 meters. 

I was pleased to see that the readings, when using the Pace 2 in conjunction with the Pod 2, were accurate right down to the current pace during each interval. Both distance and pace readings were spot on. The GPS map data post-run showed a consistent loop around the first lap, which is the complete opposite of what one would see when using a regular GPS watch.




Kudos to Coros for this valiant effort in improving accuracy data for runners to train more optimally!

Effort Pace 

With the Pod 2. Coros introduced a new running metric: "Effort Pace", an updated version of their metric "Adjusted pace". Utilizing a complex algorithm, Effort Pace was created to aid athletes in improving their performance through more accurate performance readings on changing surface gradients and terrain. 

To give a better illustration, let me present an example:

I'm running a 30 minutes tempo run at 4:30min/km. Along the way, there are upslopes and downslopes. On the upslope, the pace reading drops to 5:00min/km. However, the Effort Pace reading remains at 4:30min/km. That is to say the effort I am exerting on the hill is equivalent to a 4:30min/km pace on flat terrain.

This metric was created to provide a better gauge for runners on both uphills and downhills so as to not overpush nor slow down too much on varying slope gradients, resulting in a more consistent overall effort.

I found this performance metric especially helpful for me; I tend to speed up too much on hills and end up tiring myself out and dropping pace for the rest of the run. Now, I constantly refer to my watch for the "Effort Pace" metric to ensure that I'm not exerting too hard and burning out too quickly.


Final Thoughts

The Coros Pace 2 and Pod 2 were excellent additions to my running gear rotation. Not only did it  resolve all the issues I faced with my current watch, it also allowed me to run more accurately at the paces i needed to stick to. I highly recommend purchasing the Pod 2 together with either the Pace 2 or any other Coros watch .

The Pace 2 and Pod 2 are available for purchase at Red Dot Running Company for $299SGD and $145 SGD respectively.

[Disclaimer: Coros Pace 2 and Pod 2 have been provided free-of-charge for the purposes of a review. Regardless, all reviews remain unbiased and approached from an objective standpoint.]

Comments

Instagram